Living in Arizona has some definite perks and one of them is that we are a border state to Mexico and have aaaahmazing Mexican markets here that carry yummy authentic, handmade tortillas. These, in our opinion, are way better than the regular ‘ol tortillas carried at chain grocers because they have a salted, grilled flavor and can even be enjoyed plain! If you don’t have access to these yummy markets you can make your plain tortillas taste with way with a few tricks, like we made with our Grilled Steak and Spinach Quesadillas:
Our grandmother, a resident of Mexico until she attended college here in the US, made us the best green chili & cheese quesadillas every time we went to her house and we learned this trick from her. Our grilled quesadillas come out crispy and flavorful each time!
Want to know to make them?
Steak and Spinach Quesadillas
- 1 lb. cooked/seasoned steak sliced fajita-style
- 3 c. spinach
- 1.5 c. grated monterey jack cheese
- 5-6 large flour tortillas
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 c. diced tomatoes or pico de gallo
- Set grill to medium heat.
- Brush tortillas LIGHTLY with butter or olive oil, (over wax paper.)
- LIGHTLY sprinkle salt over tortillas.
- Layer cheese, spinach and steak strips on half of the seasoned tortilla.
- Fold over.
- Grill the quesadillas until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are starting to brown and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Top with avocado and salsa.
Top with fresh tomatoes or pico de gallo, sliced avocados, sour cream or even eat as it. Either way, they are deeelish!