Love how a kimono polishes off an outfit? learn to make your own in just a few steps then step out in style!
Easy Kimono Cardigan
Hello everyone, we are Elizabeth and Liz, two girls who married brothers and ended up with the exact same name. Together we blog at Simple Simon and Company where we love all things sewing, crafting and the art of homemaking. Today we have an easy sewing project that we know you will all love, an easy kimono sewing tutorial!
Have you been admiring all those cute kimono cardigans that are everywhere? Well, now with just over a yard of fabric you can make your own—for probably half to one-third of the cost. Here’s how…..
Materials to make a Kimono Cardigan:
- 1 1/4 yards of cotton/rayon blend material
- 2 yards of pom-poms (optional)
How to make a Kimono Cardigan:
- Cut a rectangle of fabric 46 inches by 48 inches (46 will be the width, 48 inches will be the length)
- Fold the rectangle in half so that the fold is at the top and the two open ends are at the bottom.
3. Cut up only the FRONT layer of the fabric as shown in the illustration. Then cut ellipse shape for neckline.
4. Measure down 10″ from the fold on both sides of rectangle and mark with a pin. These will be your armholes. Stitch up to that pin and out to side seam.
5. Turn under your armholes .5 inches, press, then turn up .5 inches and hem as the illustration below.
6. Hem the open cardigan seams and neckline the same way. Turn neckline and open seams under .5 inches, press. Then press under another .5 inches and hem.
7. Add pom poms onto the bottom of hem. If you need a great tutorial on how to add pom poms you can go HERE.
And you are done! For more tutorials on easy sewing projects head to Simple Simon and Company!
and this cute DIY pool bag!
See even more easy Sewing Tutorials!
- Pom Pom Throw Blanket
- Easy Hair Bows
- Half Apron with Pockets
- Leather Skirt
- Changing Pad
- Kitchen Linens
- Cloud Pillows
FREE EMAIL COURSE
5 Low Cost Tricks to Make Your House Look Like $1 Million
It's Lolly Jane's 5 FAVORITE Tricks to spruce up your space affordably.
Don't miss these!