My sons fun grandma is visiting from out of state and brought them the cutest toys to shoot around that I’ve never seen before, a foam slingshot. My 3 year old especially loves it and when his cousins saw it, requested we make them some, too! We styled ours in a 4th of July theme and a set of foam firecracker slingshots were created:
Not only is this toy slingshot super fun to make but it was also cheap! You just need a few supplies to create your own: 1 foam tube (pipe insulator, found at most home improvement stores: makes 3 slingshots- cut between 6-8″,) 2 plastic zip ties per slingshot, 1 rubber band per slingshot, ribbon, bakers twine and/or yarn (20″ of 3-4 different colors) and red/white/blue acrylic paint.
- Paint the black foam tubes red, white or blue: 3 coats will cover the black. Optional: paint pattern at this point as well.
- Cut ribbon.
- Fold ribbon in half and tie onto 1 full size zip tie.
- Attach rubber band to zie tie.
- Foam tubes are pre-cut so easily insert rubber band/zip tie/ribbon into the tube, with rubber band poking out from one side and ribbon hanging out the other.
- Use 2nd zip tie and secure. Pull TIGHT until it will not click anymore. Trim excessive zip tie.
That’s it! Get your fingers ready for a firecracker slingshot war now!
This was a fun craft to make with Kelli’s littles and they sure enjoyed posing for the pictures, aka: testing out their slingshots (;
Keep in mind the paint will come off with water so steer clear of water parties IF you paint the outside. They are also super cute with black foam + camo yarn colors (as what my boys received) and those are water party ready! (;