Are you looking to grow your presence on instagram? have you hit an instagram plateau? Check out these tips to grow your instagram organically.
Let’s talk Instagram, nicknamed IG. *Update 2019: we’ve continued to follow these methods and currently have over 130k community members strong. We love our Lolly fans! These BASIC tips are still tried and true: bottom line, engage with your followers! Be kind and courteous and give them attention. Make them feel special and be grateful they choose to follow you out of the millions of other grammars out there. We recently came across this Instagram formula to increase your engagement on Instagram, GAME CHANGER!! PS: Stay tuned for an upcoming guide to run a successful blog and how we’ve created a six figure brand.
We want to share how we’ve been using Instagram to grow organically. We didn’t set out to have a ton of followers but here are tips that have worked for us. And I don’t mean just big numbers, but more of a personal following where we have meaningful relationships which is what we prefer. Engagement is KEY.
How not to lose Instagram followers
Let’s cover what NOT to do on Instagram:
- Instagram is a safe zone. We don’t use it to push paid products on people. We will, however, share attractive pictures about stores we’re shopping in, fun products we find, blog related projects we’re working on, fun giveaways, a yummy dessert, etc. There is a difference and people can see right through paid pictures. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, we just try to avoid it.
- Comment back! We get that some people have thousands of followers but it really irks me when I see someone tag who they’re following with a simple request “Hey @lollyjaneblog, what’s that paint color?” and the follow-ee ignores them. Good way to lose followers.
- Over-posting. We’ve been known to stop following friends for posting six different pictures of the same activity or event within minutes of each other when it’s nearly identical to the first five. It clogs our feed and we want to see what the other several hundred peeps we follow are up to as well. Use your collage apps, people!
- If you’re post-happy, consider having a second private account for more intimate pictures. My hubby has a dangerous job where he was in the news a couple months ago. It worried me that my kids’ names would get dragged into the media so I created a private account where I’m free to post a million pics of my kids everyday life. And since I’m private, none of the above rules apply because I’m posting for ME, so feel free to not follow (; I’m turning my private account into a book at the end of every year so I do go a little IG crazy, but I only have a couple hundred followers who are close friends and family and I wouldn’t be offended if they didn’t want to see a ton of pictures of mostly kids, low crafts since I save it for our @lollyjaneblog account. I will say switching between 2 accounts is annoying, worth it, but annoying.
- Watch your political stance. We all have opinions, it’s the beauty that makes us different. If you have an IG account to grow your blog (like us), be careful about what you post. We often share our love for our Heavenly Father, we’ve very obviously Mormons, lol but when it comes to politics or controversial issues, we keep our big mouths shut so we don’t get in trouble with anyone. They don’t follow us to hear about our choice in politicians, stay in your lane! Our lane is all about home decor.
Tips to gain Instagram followers
- Be real. Don’t just post beautiful edited pictures of yourself and your flawless life, no one is perfect so you risk the chance as coming across as fake. Show your silly self off, it’s fun to see the “unprofessional” side of people you only know online! That being said, don’t be selfie-crazy, please…I will unfollow you (;
- Don’t just “like” picture after picture, comment! And although I do use “so cute”, “love it!”, “darling” a lot, sincere comments mean more. The more I comment on people’s pics, the more likely they are to click over to you and follow back!
- Use your hashtags! You can use up to 30, take advantage of that! I use at least 11 hashtags on my posts because I want to get my pictures out there amid millions of other IG users. And in reality, I click on the hash tags I used because I like to see similar inspiration. If I love their IG account, I’ll follow, “like” their pic and leave a fun comment telling them so “oh-em-gee, that chippy dresser is to.die.for, please send it my way, kthanks!” (; It grabs their attention and they’re more likely to click over and follow you back!
- Take unique pictures. Don’t be a copycat.
- When you have downtime, click on people that comment’s account. A lot of them are private so you can’t get to know them but a lot are public and it’s fun to see if you have any similar friends or style. I’ve followed complete strangers because their style is stinkin cute and after commenting back and forth, I feel like we have a decent friendship. Not a “hey, let’s exchange numbers” but I feel comfortable commenting on their acc and they obviously feel the same. Hey, if you’re public, it’s not creepy, right??
- Tag your friends.
- If you’re a blogger, make sure your IG account is linked on your homepage. And if you run a contest and have “extra entries”, throw in ‘Follow on Instagram’ for more followers. That person is on your blog for a reason, they dig your style!-they’ll dig your IG style as well and will most likely follow you there too! That’s the fun of social networks, they’re all interlinked! On our facebook page, we have an instagram link next to our ‘About Us’.
- If you want to connect with brands, follow and tag them! There are real people behind those accounts and the more you reference them, the more likely they are to comment back because they’ll keep seeing your name in their notifications! Example: I was at Home Depot and I spent a lot of money there that day for my monthly craft night so I snapped a shot and tagged them. They commented back “We do love our crafty Home Depot ladies” Easy way to get on their radar since I’m organically using their products anyway.
There’s still so much to learn but we vouch for Anna’s Instagram recipe to kick up engagement. What did we miss? Leave your own tips below!
FREE EMAIL COURSE
5 Low Cost Tricks to Make Your House Look Like $1 Million
It's Lolly Jane's 5 FAVORITE Tricks to spruce up your space affordably.
Don't miss these!