Looking for boredom busters for kids? Make this embroidery hoop tic tac toe game with a few supplies and a lot of imagination for hours of fun!
We are savoring the last of our summer vacation but are still creating boredom busters with our littles.
We had a few embroidery hoops left over from our church youth girls camp last week and decided to stitch it up and create an embroidery hoop Tic-Tac-Toe game for them to help pass the time between playing with cousins and swimming. We snagged some white buttons for one player and colored buttons for the other, easy peasy!
We challenge you gals (and guys!) to whip up your own game board, we’d love to see it! Tag us on Instagram!
how to make a tic tac toe embroidery hoop game
To make a tic-tac-toe game from an embroidery hoop, you will need to raise your sewing stash (ours is pretty small compared to our craft section but we still had what we needed on hand.)
supplies to make an embroidery hoop tic tac toe button game
- 8×8 embroidery hoop
- 9×9 cut piece of fabric
- large needle
- embroidery thread
- 4-5 1/2″ thick strips of colored fabric x 6″ long
- white, colored buttons as game pieces
see more kid friendly craft ideas
directions to make embroidery hoop tic tac toe game
- Wrap fabric strips around the outside hoop, securing with a dab of hot glue at the end.
- Put 9×9 piece of fabric over the inside hoop; put fabric wrapped hoop over and tighten screw.
- Thread needle; I tie a loose knot on mine so it will pull through without tugging the fabric.
- Use a light colored pencil to sketch out # design.
- Follow lines of outline and stitch with embroidery thread.
- Instead of tying knots on the back, I snip and hot glue the thread down instead. A) I’m lazy. B) I can’t never get the knot close enough to the fabric, haha!
- Trim the excess fabric from the back of the hoop.
- Get your tic-tac-toe on!
We love easy, kid-friendly crafts.
We would say kids at age 9+ are a good fit for stitching their own hoops. If they’re not ready, just duel them in a fun game of tic-tac-toe!