Hi there it is Stefanie from Simple Acres. I am so excited for the holiday season we are in! I have been busy baking and decorating the farmhouse lately. Today I thought I would share a classic gingerbread cookie recipe that can double as decor.
The smell of cinnamon and spices that fills your home while baking these is enough to bring holiday cheer before you even take a bite. Join me as I share how we make these delightful and nostalgic goodies in my neck of the woods.
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or solid vegetable shortening
- 4 eggs
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 6 cups flour
- *optional 1 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- Combine sugar and shortening or butter.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add molasses, salt, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon and mix well.
- Add the flour 1 cup at a time. If the dough seems stiff, dry or crumbly use less flour.
- Roll the dough. A thinner product produces a crisper product a thicker dough produces a softer product.
6. Cut out your cookies in your desired shapes. I suggest rolling the dough out on wax paper and cutting in on the same paper then chilling this in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. This allows you to remove your shapes easier while maintaining their form.
7. If you would like holes in some of your cookies to create ornaments, a straw works wonderfully to do so. (You may need to re-create this hole as soon as you pull your baked cookies out of the oven.)
8. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.
9. Let completely cool before decorating. Enjoy
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as me and my family do. We tend to nibble a few, decorate a few and hang a few on the tree.
We wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year from our humble home to yours! Dovidenia. XO
Follow us along as we raise our precious kids and furry Angus herd while making a home on the farm, click here!
Check out more yummy tutorials from Steph like her DIY Rustic Decor Tray,
and her S’more Cookie Dip!
FREE EMAIL COURSE
5 Low Cost Tricks to Make Your House Look Like $1 Million
It's Lolly Jane's 5 FAVORITE Tricks to spruce up your space affordably.
Don't miss these!