We’re excited to welcome one of our monthly contributors Carrie from My Recipe Confessions! (: Now that the weather is starting to warm up and everybody has a new spring in their step, I thought it would be the perfect time to share my family’s favorite cake. Spring or summer is not complete without eating some strawberry roll!
I have been making this cake for friends and family for years now. The original recipe is one I got in my 8th grade cooking class. Over the years, I have made some changes. However, the one thing that has not changed is the effect it has on people. Do you need to ask a friend to babysit your kids? This cake will guarantee you a yes! Are you dreading telling your husband how much your latest shopping trip cost? Make him this cake first, and he won’t even bat an eye. Do you need to move up a few notches on your parents favorite child list? I am speaking from experience when I say this cake will do that, (for a few days anyway)!
I can vouch for the magical powers this cake has. I have made friends with perfect strangers after I served them this cake. Whether you are making this cake for bribery reasons or you just want to express your love to your loved ones, this cake is loved by all who eat it!
- 1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 cups of sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 tsp. of lemon juice
- 3/4 cup of powder sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the paper with baking spray
2. In a small bowl, mix the first three dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla until foamy. Gradually beat in the sugar and beat until thick.
4. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Spread the batter evenly onto the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until it is golden brown and the cake springs back when touched.
5. Loosen the cake around the edges of the pan. Invert the cake onto a linen dish towel that has been dusted with powder sugar.
6. Peel the parchment paper off of the cake and cut the edges of the cake to even it out. Roll up in the towel and cool completely.
7. Add the heavy whipped cream, lemon juice, powder sugar, and salt in a bowl and whip until stiff peaks form.
8. Unroll the cake and spread 3/4 cup of the cream onto the cake. Top with strawberries (reserve 1/4 cup of the strawberries to garnish the cake). Gently roll the cake up and place it on a plate.
9. Spread the remaining cream on the outside of the cake and garnish with sliced strawberries.
10. Refrigerate for 1 hour. To serve, cut into 1 inch slices.
Until next time,
Also try this yummy s’mores roll recipe, mmm!
plus Carrie’s Tropical Carrot Cake Roll,
her Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe,
and our pink whoopie pie cookies.